How do you write two quotes in a row?
How do you write two quotes in a row?
For direct quotations of more than one paragraph, place open quotation marks at the start of each new paragraph. Place close quotation marks at the end of only the last paragraph.
Do question marks go after in text citations?
When you are ending a sentence with a direct quote that ends in a question mark, you will need to have a period after the parenthetical citation. Since it is a direct quote, you will need to have a citation to show exactly where you got the quote.
How do you quote a list?
If you quote someone’s speech, and that speech includes a comma or period, then the comma or period goes inside the quote, because that is what they said. If you are merely listing quoted items, such as the items on a computer menu, then the commas go outside the quotes.
How do you quote two sentences in a row?
To properly cite the ideas of an author who you have paraphrased in two or more sentences in a row, you will need to include a reference to the author and the appropriate parenthetical citation at the end of the last paraphrased sentence.
How do you reference a stanza?
If you have introduced the author and title of the poem in your writing, then you only need to use the stanza and/or line number in the citation, for example: (stanza 3, lines 1-2).
How do you cite a poem in APA?
The basic rules for quoting a line of poetry are the same as for quoting any other source….As such, to quote a poem, you should:
- Place the quoted text within quotation marks.
- Cite the author’s surname and year of publication in brackets.
- If available, include a page number for the quoted passage.
What is a stanza in a poem?
Stanza, a division of a poem consisting of two or more lines arranged together as a unit. More specifically, a stanza usually is a group of lines arranged together in a recurring pattern of metrical lengths and a sequence of rhymes. Stanza. Poetry.
How do you do an in-text citation for a poem?
Include the author’s name, the title(s) of the poem(s), and the line number(s) in the text (for better source inte- gration) or within a parenthetical citation.
What are motivational quotes?
Inspirational Quotes About Life and Success
- 2) “The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity.
- 3) “Don’t let yesterday take up too much of today.”
- 4) “You learn more from failure than from success.
- 6) “If you are working on something that you really care about, you don’t have to be pushed.
How do you quote a question?
Punctuation Junction: Question Marks and Quotation Marks
- When the quotation itself is a question, put the question mark inside the quotation marks.
- When the sentence as a whole is a question, but the quoted material is not, put the question mark outside the quotation marks.
Can a quote be two sentences?
A longer quotation might span multiple sentences. Use four ellipsis points (rather than three) to indicate any omission between two sentences.
Does a quote have to be one sentence?
There is no absolute rule as to what constitutes a “lengthy quote” – some teachers say a quote is lengthy if it exceeds four or five typed lines; others, if it exceeds forty words or four sentences. The point is: once a quote becomes unusually lengthy it is formatted as a block quote.
How do you cite a poem in APA 6th edition?
APA 6th and 7th Editions When referencing published poems, please create the reference based on the source where the poem was published (e.g., web page, book). The in-text citation of a published poem should provide the author’s last name, the year of publication, and stanza (e.g., Frost, 1916, stanza 1).
Can you end a paragraph with a citation APA?
However, technically, APA demands that your reader knows exactly what information you got from someone else and when you start using it. Thus, an end-of-paragraph citation does not meet that requirement.
How do you cite two in text citations in one sentence APA?
Separate the citations with semicolons. Arrange two or more works by the same authors (in the same order) by year of publication. Place in-press citations last. Give the authors’ surnames once; for each subsequent work, give only the date.
How do you integrate quotes?
Integrating Quotations into Sentences
- Introduce the quotation with a complete sentence and a colon.
- Use an introductory or explanatory phrase, but not a complete sentence, separated from the quotation with a comma.
- Make the quotation a part of your own sentence without any punctuation between your own words and the words you are quoting.
How do you cite a quote APA Style?
Using In-text Citation APA in-text citation style uses the author’s last name and the year of publication, for example: (Field, 2005). For direct quotations, include the page number as well, for example: (Field, 2005, p. 14).
What is a stanza number?
In poetry, a stanza is a division of four or more lines having a fixed length, meter, or rhyming scheme. The number of lines varies in different kinds of stanzas, but it is uncommon for a stanza to have more than twelve lines. …
How do you quote a sentence in the middle of a sentence?
When the annunciatory clause falls in the middle of a sentence, use a comma and closing quotation marks before it, and a comma and opening quotation marks after it.
What words can I use to introduce a quote?
Another way to introduce a critic’s words is to use a descriptive verb, followed by a comma.
- Smith states, “This book is terrific” (102).
- Smith remarks, ” . . .
- Smith writes, ” . . .
- Smith notes, ” . . .
- Smith comments, ” . . .
- Smith observes, ” . . .
- Smith concludes, ” . . .
- Smith reports, ” . . .
How do you cite multiple quotes in one sentence?
For multiple citations in one sentence MLA, you will need to mention the name of the first author and then the “et al” phrase (that means others) excluding quotation marks. For instance, “In a discussion by Dee and his colleagues….”or you can include in-text citations in the end as (Dee et al. 43).
How do you write quotes?
Proper Punctuation – Quotes
- If you start by telling who said it, use a comma and then the first quotation mark.
- If you put the quote first and then tell who said it, use a comma at the end of the sentence, and then the second quotation mark.
- Punctuation always goes inside the quotation marks if it is a direct quote.
How do you cite a poem in a book?
MLA Citation Guide (8th Edition): Poetry Author of Poem’s Last Name, First Name. “Title of Poem.” Title of Book: Subtitle if Any, edited by Editor’s First Name Last Name, Edition if given and is not first, Publisher Name often shortened, Year of Publication, pp. Page Numbers of the Poem.
How do you quote a few sentences?
Put quotation marks around the direct quote. As long as you use quotation marks and cite the source where you got the material, you can use someone else’s ideas without plagiarizing. You still need to use quotation marks even if you’re only quoting a few words.
How do you quote a whole stanza?
Typically, you would mention the author’s name and the name of the poem when introducing the quote. If you quote the entire stanza, then you would just use one number, such as three, to indicate which stanza you quoted.
How do you cite a stanza in a poem?
Brief Verse Quotations
- If you quote all or part of a single line of verse, put it in quotation marks within your text.
- You may also incorporate two or three lines in the same way, using a slash with a space on each side [ / ] to separate them.
- Use two slashes [ // ] to indicate a stanza break in a quotation.